For the past 10 years, I’ve had the pleasure of managing Instagram strategies for a variety of brands including Carolina Parent magazine, UNC-TV, RainbowMe Kids, and more. Even with Hey Awesome Girl’s small Instagram account, we’ve been able to attract many clients and leads to our six-figure business.
When it comes to Instagram, apart from getting instagram followers, there are a few things you want to keep in mind in order to use it to grow your online business: how things look and what your content says. Both things are essential to your profile being discoverable and attractive for social media audiences.
Here are the 5 things you can do to optimize your Instagram account.
1. Optimize your account profile
That means having an appropriate and easy-to-see profile image, if you’re a business that means using your logo or image representative of your company. If you’re a personal brand, it’s best to use a picture of yourself.
How to optimize you Instagram account profile:
- Use a concise, keyword-rich bio.
- Include keywords in your bio that your target audience would be searching for.
- Pick a category for your type of business.
- Add a call to action at the bottom of your profile.
Optimizing your profile will help your potential clients and customers find your profile more attractive.
2. Curate your post images
Consider using a consistent color scheme, or filter so your images match. Or use a grid layout where every other image has a different look or filter.
Keep in mind too, that if you’re using your Instagram account for business, your content shouldn’t be about what you want to see, but what your target audience wants to see. Consistently deliver that content so your potential clients and customers want to follow you!
3. Use hashtags to make your content discoverable
Hashtags are a way to organize content on Instagram, by grouping it together. Think about the hashtags that matter to your target audience and then use them in your content.
Hashtags make your content discoverable on instagram. When you use the right hashtags, your target audience, your potential clients and customers can find your business.
4. Post a variety of content types
What should you actually post on Instagram if you want to get more clients, customer and gigs online? You want to use a content mix that does a numbers of things:
- Helps make people want to engage with your content;
- Helps people understand who you are and what you do; and
- Promotes what you do so you can actually book clients, customers, and gigs.
I call these content categories “Amplify, Brand and Sell” Content.
Your “Amplify” content appeals to your target audience. This is stuff they want to like, share or save. The engagement with this type of content amplifies your results in the Instagram algorhythm and it helps more people become aware of your business.
Your “brand” content gives people insight into who you are as a company or brand or as a person.
Your “Sell” content drives people to take action towards working with you.
Make sure you have a good mix of the three. Too much of one or the other type and your Instagram strategy won’t be effective.
5. Check your analytics and repeat what works
The last thing you want to do is check your Instagram analytics, or "Insights." Upgrade your instagram account to be a business or creator account and you’ll have access to analytics to help you understand lots of things to make your Instagram strategy more effective.
With access to Instagram Insights, you'll be able to understand things like:
- How discoverable is your content?
- How many interactions does your content get?
- What’s your audience looks like?
- What of your content is most popular?
Reviewing your analytics can help you understand what to post more of so you get better results from your Instagram account for your business.
Those are the 5 things you can do to optimize your Instagram account for more clients, customers and gigs.
Again, those things are:
- Optimizing your account profile
- Curating your profile images
- Use hashtags to make your content discoverable
- Posting a variety of content types
- Checking your analytics and repeat what works
Want to take this even further?
Grab our free Instagram profile Cheatsheet, it includes a cool Instagram carousel post template, for making some beautiful and dynamic IG posts.[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]